Monday, December 22, 2008

Callings and Releases

Most of you know already, but since it's finally official, I thought I should do a post about the changes that have been going on the ward. A month or so ago, I was asked to sub the CTR 5 class while the teachers were out having a baby. And after 3 weeks of subing, they decided to make it official so I was called to be their teacher. In just a few short weeks I have come to love the kids already and it's sad to think they will be moving up in 2 weeks. But it's bittersweet because in January, I will be getting Kelsey's sunbeam class and they really are a great group of kids. There are 4 of kids and 3 of them did preschool together last year and already know me. I'm so excited to be Kelsey's teacher which had me a little worried when she moved up in January because she loves her sunbeam teacher and I knew once the CTR teacher had her baby that she'd be released so I wasn't sure how Kelsey would do with the transition, but alas no concerns anymore.

Now about Dave. Since we've been in the ward he's been in various young men's callings, which he has really enjoyed because it's kept him out of high priests. His latest calling was Priest quorum advisor which has been fun since he is now getting his deacons back and has come full circle. Which usually means you get released right? Right. A couple of weeks ago our stake split and with it, released our stake president of 9 years. Splitting the stake left numerous positions available so when the stake called last Sunday to meet with the Stake President that evening, he wasn't sure what it was. And when they called back saying to bring his wife, we were a little more concerned. My fear was high council, which would take him out of the ward and the girls would never understand that so when he was asked to serve in the bishopric (again) I was nervous but still familiar territory. We later found out he would be the 2nd counselor (again) with all the shifting of callings in the ward. We made a few calls to our family and within a few hours they all decided to come up. As if him wearing a suit wasn't enough of a giveaway, we were now sitting in the front with a row filled with family support!! So here we go again, although it's a little bit different this time, because I'm not sitting alone, but have two girls to keep quiet during sacrament by myself. Heaven help us!! Thank you to all the family that drove up to support us in these changes and what a nice surprise to see you all in time for Christmas. We sure appreciate all you did to come.

5 comments:

Linz said...

HAHAHAHAHA! Oh, Dave... congratulations! We miss you guys so much! Have fun in the bishopric (again!!)

Tara said...

That's cool for Dave! Who else is in the new bishopric? We have about the same story for Primary... I'm the CTR 6 teacher and I get Hannah in Jan. Fun!

Gygi Family said...

I guess Congratulations is in order! I found your blog finally. I am glad you have this so we can keep up with the Hawkins! I asked Helen if you called her when I saw the news and it said that it was SNOWING! Thanks for the delicious treats. We look forward to getting them every year! We hope you have a fabulous Christmas! Love Ryan and Jessica.

Susan, Susie, Suz said...

He'll be great! The same thing happened to James. We knew just the day before it was announced and I was excited for the surprised/shocked/appalled looks on our friends' faces. James gently reminded me that 1)- He would be wearing a suit... and 2)- The goatee would be missing for the first time in 2 years. Drat--dead give-aways for sure!

Owens D.C. said...

Congrats to you all!