Kaylene went down home for Mother's Day and brought us back 2 flats of California strawberries. For those of you who have had to settle with buying them from the store that have been trucked in for 100's of miles, well you may not know what you're missing. But for those of you who've had these wonderful berries and bought them right off the trucks in Camarillo and Oxnard, don't know how good you really have it. The strawberries we get here are usually half the size they are in California.
So for family night we cut them, froze them, mashed them and ate them. The girls have always enjoyed helping in the kitchen with whatever we are making for any meal and cutting the strawberries was no exception.
We were up to our elbows in strawberries and can't wait to enjoy more of these red, berry goodness. We'll probably have to bring some more back with us in a couple of weeks when we go down for the wedding.

Katelyn helping with stirring the freezer jam.


Kelsey finally graduated from a butter knife to a real knife and is so pleased with herself. Ya gotta love the open mouth deep in concentration.

Katelyn trying her luck at cutting them. And doing a pretty good job. The only problem she had was actually putting them in the bowl. I think three out of four berries made it to her mouth rather than the bowl. I guess I should be thankful this girl eats any fruit at all. She is only a connoisseur of strawberries and peaches. Unless she's dipping the fruit in chocolate, then her palate seems to be a little bit broader. But who doesn't like a little chocolate with their fruit?

Prime example - her mouth is stuffed full of strawberries. We're just lucky we had dinner first or her dinner would have been strawberries. When we put them in bed that night, her stomach was so full with them. And yet, she was still asking for more the next day.

More please!!
2 comments:
There really is nothing better than freezer jam. I still have quite a bit from last year so I wast going to make any, but Kason is dying to learn how to do it. What pectin do you use? I just found a really good kind
YUM! I love freezer jam! Cute pictures of your little helpers!
Post a Comment