Thursday, January 31, 2008

Language 101

Ok, so I know it's been a while since my last post, but we seemed to have resurfaced for the meantime. I've been crazy busy cranking out a bunch of baby quilts and I kind of get tunnel vision when I get going so I tend to do a bunch and then just pick from my stash when one is needed. Anyway this was a couple of weeks ago, but way too cute (or sad) not to post. Katelyn's vocabulary has just gone crazy in the last few weeks or so and she is learning words all over the place. Among her favorites are (still) finding pictures of grandpa and continuously pointing them out, singing The Itsy Bitsy Spider and Popcorn Popping. One morning I was doing the dishes after breakfast and in the other room I could hear Kelsey giving Katelyn speaking lessons. She was doing pretty well repeating every word Kelsey would point to and then repeat it proudly. It wasn't until I really listened in that I picked up on the words Kelsey was teaching her. This is what took place.

Kelsey: Say papa

Katelyn: Papa

K: Say Belle

K: Belle

K: Say Sleeping Beauty

K: Beauty

K: Say Cinderella

K: Rella

K: Say Prince

K: Pince

Is it sad that a 16-month's vocabulary consists of princesses? Katelyn has a different princess on each of her drawers so she knows where her clothes go and puts them away if you tell her what princess to pull open. It's sad, I know. But that's what they're into. That's all they are into. Kelsey is heard singing "I know you, I walked with you once upon a dream" all day long throughout the house and Katelyn is picking up on it as well. High school musical's got nothing on the princesses.

5 comments:

Micaela said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Micaela said...

totally. thats awesomeee. and did anyone really think high school musical was gonna beat the classics? psh. not a chance. high school musical is just pathetic.

Michelle said...

Well, I guess its better than over here at my house where the fun consists of potty humor, mooning, potty humor, tooting, burping, and hey, did I mention potty humor? (and no, I am not okay with any of it, but it comes with the territory, I guess). Just not use to it growing up with a ton of sisters. Poor Ben, he had to play Barbie's and house with us girls ALL the time!

Camille said...

Chloe would LOVE to come play with your girls!!! She is ALL about princess's too!!! We had playgroup at the mall today, and on our way out we had to, ofcourse, stop in the Disney store!!! I never buy anything at the Disney store (way too overpriced!!) but they had some adorable dress-up princess shoes half off, already half off, and since Chloe's birthday is in a month, I got them!!! She is going to be estatic!!! Funny little girls!!

Linz said...

Yep - I am going to have to figure out how to keep Auri from making Andrew's vocab exclusively girly. Hmm...